Clear aligners are a major advancement in the world of dentistry. They are an alternative to dental braces, which were the only go-to solution to treat a malocclusion. Among the various clear aligners available to us today, Invisalign is certainly the best replacement for traditional metal braces as it is both aesthetically and functionally excellent.
Why is treating malocclusion so important?
- Malocclusion can attract all the unwanted attention when you smile. People with malocclusion may face a lot of embarrassment due to this when they socialize with people.
- The functionality of the mouth will be affected due to misaligned teeth. The way the person talks, bites and chews food may not be normal due to this.
- The distribution of forces on the teeth may be unequal due to the misalignment of teeth. This can lead to change in the shape of the jawbone, bone deterioration, loosening of teeth from the sockets, etc.
- Brushing and flossing the teeth can become increasingly difficult when the teeth aren’t aligned properly. This indirectly increases the chances of developing cavities.
Why should you choose Invisalign?
Metal braces have been used for several years now to treat malocclusion, and are by far the most popular solution. However, they leave a nasty appearance on one’s smile during the course of the treatment period. This could lead to embarrassment and the patient may feel too conscious of their facial appearance when they talk or smile. Invisalign waves goodbye to such issues and brings a few more advantages to the table. Here’s why you should consider it:
- Invisalign aligners are made from a transparent plastic material. No one would know you’re getting orthodontic attention to align your ‘crooked’ teeth unless they take a closer look or you disclose it to them yourself.
- They are removable. You can remove them whenever you have to brush your teeth, eat food or drink any beverages. You just have to make sure you don’t leave any food debris or sugary residues on the teeth when you put them back on.
- They are metal-free. This eliminates the risk of oral injuries due to metal brackets or wires, as in the case of braces, if you take a hard blow to the mouth.
- Though Invisalign is made from plastic, the material doesn’t injure the gums or the surrounding soft tissues of the mouth.
- The technology used to manufacture the aligners is highly advanced. This allows the aligners to be manufactured with high precision. Also, the movement of the teeth can be predicted accurately even before the treatment begins.
What’s the treatment involved?
The orthodontist would screen your teeth to determine the extent of malocclusion and any other issues that could affect the treatment procedure. The mouth will be scanned and x-rays will be taken. The data obtained from them will be used to manufacture the aligners from dental-grade plastic material in a laboratory.
Since you are new to Invisalign, you may feel slightly uncomfortable when you first wear them. However, you would get used to it within a day or two and your treatment would be going on in disguise. Invisalign has to be on for almost the entire part of the day. Except for brushing your teeth and eating food, they will have to be worn for 22 hours each day. You will have to replace the aligners once every two weeks with a new set. The new set will have a slight change in contour adjusted precisely to accommodate the change in the teeth alignment. Depending on the severity of teeth misalignment and the response of your teeth to the treatment, the procedure may vary between a few months to a couple of years.
Schedule an online appointment or call us at (614) 459-3229 to have a consultation with our dentist and we’ll be able to guide you further.